[L2Ork-dev] osc~ and cos~ scalar versions

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 15:19:10 EDT 2018

Hi list,

There is an unused class ostensibly originating from pd-double called
"scalarosc_class". I guess the idea was to eventually implement an
optimized version of "osc~" in the case that a float arg is supplied.

However, I don't see how that could work. For example, the scalar
version of [*~] is triggered by supplying a floatarg like [*~ 0.1].
But that has the side effect of changing the second inlet from a
signal inlet to a scalar inlet.

I don't see how that side-effect would be possible with "osc~" because
there are plenty of cases where the user starts with "osc~ 440", then
makes a signal input to that same "osc~ 440." So I don't think it's
possible to constrain the input to scalar without breaking patches.

(Same for "cos~")