[L2Ork-dev] Unifying GUI toolkit versions

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 15:29:21 EDT 2018

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 12:01 PM, Marco Donnarumma
<lists at marcodonnarumma.com> wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Thanks for the heads up.
> I myself run Linux, so, personally, no problem, but at most of the workshops
> I teach to beginners, participants often have windows xp or older Mac os.
>
> Imho, it would be a real pity to entirely exclude people using old systems
> from using purrdata, it would risk wasting the potential of purr to be much
> more open and graspable than pd vanilla to beginners, who do not necessarily
> use or update their computers and os as much as we do :)
>
> That said, I imagine and trust you have solid reasons to have taken this
> decision.
>
> Any possible compromise?

The only one I can think of is to punt and just wait as long as is
sensible to unify. We don't have the dev resources to maintain a lts
release of Purr Data. And anyone who is still using osx 10.8 or winxp
obviously doesn't have the resources to fund the effort to do that.

At the moment there aren't any dire features that require newer
nw.js versions, so I'm happy to put it off for now.

Also atm we've only got a few band-aids to workaround
issues with nw.js v14. However, once we come to a place
where either a dire feature requires a newer version or more
workarounds for supporting v14 are required,
we'll bump to a newer nw.js version.

I'm curious-- how do your students even have a working winxp laptop in
2018? I can understand osx 10.8 since Apple traditionally produced
hardware that tends to last well. But even my refurbished Lenovo X60
only lasted about 5 years, and that's probably the most resilient
commodity PC laptop I've ever seen.

-Jonathan