[L2Ork-dev] K12 questions/issues

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 21 19:00:38 UTC 2017

> 1) K12 mode in Purr Data?
It hasn't been ported yet. But I *think* most of the k12 abstractions should work just fine. If they don't-- and if you have the time-- please file bug reports:https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data/issues
> 2) How to get wiimote working with raspberry pi?
Ico probably has the most experience with this...

> 3) Raspberry pi kernel 4.9 breaks raspberry pi analog and digital objects!
Ok. Can you submit a bug report about that one?
> 4) Animation within patch?
There are several approaches. Some examples are in doc/4.data.structures/pd-l2ork/ds-demos/

> Inspired by a great workshop at moogfest, I signed up to run a workshop centered around the Raspberry Pi, Lots Of Pots, and other hardware fun. The workshop is tomorrow. I have most of my ducks in a row, but in the process of tidying images up, I have hit a few issues, and have a few questions.

> 1) Is there K12 mode in Purr Data?
Not yet.

> For raspberry pi, K12 mode in the latest Purr Data build (pd-l2ork-2.2.3-raspbian-armv7l.deb) does not seem to be supported (yet). Most K12 objects seem to work, with the exception of the raspberry pi digital and analog. (see #3)

> Just so I know what to tell people, is there a roadmap for porting K12 mode?
I don't have a roadmap laid out for that yet.

> (I know, I know, you just released cyclone 7 hours ago. There is no pleasing some people! 😃 )

> 2) Do you have suggestions for getting wimote to work with raspberry pi? I am using a generic "Motion 2in1" controller, and neither the wii connect object nor hcitool scan seem to see it. Are there additional plugins/libraries/what-have-you that I need to install, or do I just need to track down an official Nintendo controller?
I don't have any experience using the wiimote-- I think Ico is the best resource for this atm.

> 3) Issue: Raspberry pi digital and analog are broken for kernel 4.9! For the purposes of the workshop, I will be sticking with the 20170119 version from http://l2ork.music.vt.edu/data/pd/pd-l2ork-armv7l-20170119.deb . In the process of tidying up my images, I upgraded. Somewhere between kernel 4.4.50 and 4.9.35, the rapsberry pi digital and raspberry pi analog out objects decided they would rather crash pd-l2ork than do what they used to do so beautifully before I foolishly ran apt-get upgrade.

> The failure mumbles something about
> " - expecting BCM2708 or BCM2709. If this is a genuine Raspberry Pi then please report this to projects at drogon.net. If this is not a Raspberry Pi then you are on your own as wiringPi is designed to support the Raspberry Pi ONLY."

This definitely needs a bug report. When you have time are you able to submit one?

> This seems to be related to: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=186650&p=1178463 . For now, I am rolling back my kernel, but this is a heads up for folks using LOP hats. Purr Data 2.2.3 raspberry pi analog in object does not crash, but fails with "disis_spi ... couldn't create".  I have not tested 2.2.3 on kernel 4.4 yet. (I am running out of time, and will need to revisit that after the workshop.) Does it look like there is something clever I could do with/to wiringPi to fix this, or is a new build of the old codebase required? Should I open an issue in either of the codebase repos?

> 4) During the moogfest workshop there was a quick demo of a sprite running around the connections inside a patch. Ico, could you point me to an example of that?
At least in the most recent version you can click Help->About Pd and there's a walking cat sprite in there.

> Thanks for all of the hard work that has gone into this. It is an amazing set of tools, and I am looking forward to showing it off tomorrow!

Thanks for the reports, Dave!  And good luck on the workshop. Let us know how it goes.

Best,Jonathan

--
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain_______________________________________________
L2Ork-dev mailing list
L2Ork-dev at disis.music.vt.edu