[L2Ork-dev] Non-signal *left* inlet visualization of a dsp object

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 09:07:46 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 4:46 AM, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

> Is that because the inlet on vanilla is impossible to distinguish between
> signal and non-signal or is there some other behavior-based inconsistency?

Behavior.

I have a version of pd-pure (not in my Bitbucket repo yet) which removes
the main signal in from [pure~] signal objects. Even though vanilla doesn't
*show* the left inlet as a non-signal inlet, I can try to connect a signal
outlet to the inlet, which gave me an error so I can be 100% sure that the
main signal in is indeed gone.

Then I have a test patch which pipes the output of [osc~ 440] into the
right signal inlet of [pure~ map (*2)] (which just multiplies the signal by
2) and it works in vanilla. Here's how the patch looks like, purring along
smoothly in vanilla 0.47.1 (note the nonzero output of snapshot~ which
proves that the [osc~] - [pure~] signal connection is actually working):

[image: Inline image 2]

In contrast, both Pd-l2ork and Purr Data, running exactly the same patch
with exactly the same pd-pure version, give me the following error as soon
as I turn on dsp:

    signal outlet connect to nonsignal inlet (ignored)

Here's how the patch looks like in Purr:

[image: Inline image 1]

Note that Purr displays the left inlet of the pure~ object as a control
inlet, so that verifies once again that I got rid of the main signal in of
the pure~ object. In the screenie, I also captured the aforementioned error
message in Purr's main window, visible below the patch window, which
obviously gets tripped by the [osc~] - [pure~] connection. (Also, the
snapshot~ always displays 0 there, so that proves that it's not just an
annoying error message, but the right signal inlet of pure~ indeed isn't
working at all.)

I used Purr to do the screenshot above, but I ran the same test in classic
Pd-l2ork and it behaves exactly the same. I'm attaching the test patch
below, but it won't do you much good unless you run my special pd-pure
version, as well as an installation of Pure. (I've attached that pd-pure
version as a tarball, and Pure is readily available from my Ubuntu PPAs and
the AUR, in case anyone wants to give it a whirl. I'll also happily provide
instructions on how to get these up and running upon request.)

Ok, so that's how far I got. I originally intended to report all this in a
proper PR on the Purr GitLab, but there you have it. :)

Ico, you don't have to feel bad about this, I don't think that there's
*any* external shipping with Pd-l2ork which has this peculiar configuration
of the inlets (leftmost control inlet, no main signal in, right signal
inlet). That's why I asked Alexandre whether he can provide one. That
didn't turn up anything either, so I just use [pure~] to reproduce the bug
now. I'm really sure, though, that it will be the same with any Pd object
which has the same kind of inlet configuration.

So it's a *really* obscure issue, just because there aren't all that many
test witnesses. But nonetheless I consider it a bug, as vanilla does it
right.

Will have a closer look at it today, and see whether I can find the exact
commit in vanilla which fixed that bug.

Email:  aggraef at gmail.com