[L2Ork-dev] Updated HOWTO for RPi

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Sun Feb 12 15:55:15 UTC 2017

All,

Once I find a bit of time, I will be updating RPi instructions found on
the L2Ork website. Until that happens, below is a concatenated list of
things to do I provided to my students as part of an assignment. It goes
above and beyond of getting pd-l2ork to run and also includes ability to
interface with I2C and GPIOs, as well as remote login and use of VNC to
display GUI elements on a remote computer (e.g. laptop), so that you
only have to carry RPi, an USB power cable, and an Ethernet cable:

Download and install Raspbian Linux onto the RPi and configure it as
follows:

  * Connect RPi to the internet
  * Update apt-get sources (don't forget to use sudo command where
    necessary)
  * Install latest updates using apt-get command
  * Configure the external soundcard (depending on the chip it will be
    named C-media and will likely have USB in the name) levels using
    alsamixer command (make sure to specify the correct soundcard when
    changing settings) and permanently store them using: sudo alsactl store
  * Install pd-l2ork by downloading the appropriate version
    fromhttp://l2ork.music.vt.edu/main/make-your-own-l2ork/software/
      o Make sure to first install following packages prior to
        installing pd-l2ork by literally copying the following command:
        sudo apt-get install libstk0-dev libfluidsynth-devlibrtaudio-dev
        librtmidi-dev
      o Then install pd-l2ork using the dpkg command.
      o The install should report errors which you will be able to fix
        by running: sudo apt-get -f install
      o Once installed, make sure to test pd-l2ork (using the pd-l2ork
        command, don't forget about the flags and possible need for sudo
        prefix) and configure it to use external soundcard and make sure
        it indeed senses input and outputs the sound through the
        headphone jack.
  * Enable SSH, SPI, and I2C using raspi-config command
  * Run the pd-l2ork in k12 mode (see what flags it accepts by running
    pd-l2ork --help) and test its ability to receive and send data via a
    single GPIO and, if available, to receive analog data, if you have a
    shield at your disposal--otherwise we can provide one for you for
    testing.
  * Lastly, configure your RPi's ethernet connection by modifying
    /etc/dhcpcd.conf file using nano or some other visual text editorv
    (don't forget sudo, this is a protected system file) and adding the
    following three lines at the bottom of it, to ensure it has a static
    IP address and is therefore accessible via your laptop:

    interface eth0
    static ip_address=10.42.0.2/24
    static routers=10.42.0.1
    static domain_name_servers=10.42.0.1

    If unsure how to do this, Google is your friend (e.g. google for
    "Rpi static ip dhcpcd.conf")

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Associate Professor
Creative Technologies in Music