[L2Ork-dev] Hi! Some questions, and offering my services

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 28 20:02:54 UTC 2017

> Hi everyone,

Welcome!

> Decided to take the plunge into Purr Data today - I wanna say thank you for all

> the hard work that's been put into this, it looks like a really great project.

> I've been using vanilla for many years now and recently decided I'd had it with

> the graphics, so this is exactly what I've been looking for.

> I have a couple of questions:

> 1. When I import my vanilla patches into Purr Data, everything mostly works except

> - anything with a vu meter causes all the graphics to stop responding entirely when I turn DSP on
> - [cyclone/scale] doesn't seem to exist in the version of cyclone that comes with Purr Data
> - [cyclone/scale~] does exist but for some reason I can only create it as [scale~]

> Could anyone provide some insight?

What version of Purr Data, and which platform/arch?

> 2. I'd love to help out with any work that needs to be done, especially with regard to

> documentation / writing help files. I can do some coding too, but I'm still learning,

> and if there are any easy ish coding tasks that need to be done I'd be thrilled to see

> what I can do. Where should I start on this?

Here's a fairly straightforward issue:

https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data/issues/373

In addition to the name change, you'll need to search the entire repo for

the function name (the `grep` command on GNU/Linux does this pretty quick)

and update any other calls to that function you find.

This will give you some practice making a commit in git and doing a merge

request in Gitlab. You can post any questions here if you get stuck anywhere

in the process.

> 3. My main project is a modular synth / sampler system, and with regard to

> the stated aims of making Purr Data accessible to new users, I'd love to

> have some of these modules available for use (kind of like BEAP for max)

> since they work out of the box, look nice and do some interesting things.

> How might I get started on that?

Do you mean shipping them with Purr Data?

-Jonathan