[L2Ork-dev] updating cyclone

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 16:19:12 UTC 2017

      From: Derek Kwan <derek.x.kwan at gmail.com>
 To: Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com>
Cc: Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com>; "l2ork-dev at disis.music.vt.edu" <l2ork-dev at disis.music.vt.edu>; "brbrofsvl at gmail.com" <brbrofsvl at gmail.com>
 Sent: Friday, April 28, 2017 5:39 AM
 Subject: Re: [L2Ork-dev] updating cyclone

Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com> writes:

>    Using "alpha" to mean you are in the stable, early stages of a
>    process that may never
>
>    actually be completed is confusing.
>
> It is, and, if anything, I already considered that cyclone should have
> jumped to "1.0", instead of being released as "0.3 alpha-1", and now
> the 0.3 alpha-2 is much more like "1.0.1" - perhaps we should go ahead
> and just do it, I don't know...
>
> But my only point is that our current version is just much more
> advanced and stable, fixed, and cleaned up than the earlier versions.
> You really shouldn't worry about it being "unstable" as it is now...
>
> cheers
>

> perhaps we could do something like 0.3, 0.3.1, 0.3.2, 0.3.3? we could
even tack on more decimals if we wanted although that'd prob get a
little too hard to remember =P. i've always found it a little offputting
that version numbers don't follow normal number rules, like when apple's
os 10.9 had the next version, and it went to os 10.10, that with the
fact that there's already a os 10.1 haha.

That's true.  But it's the standard numbering used by semantic versioning, and
even before semantic versioning existed.  It's what every new developer
who looks at your version number is going to expect to be reading when
they see it.  And when they misunderstand it-- as I did-- it's going to eat
up time because you have to use paragraphs to explain the stability of
the project instead of a single word.
You don't have to bump to major version "1"-- you can stay at
"0" because, like I said, you're still working out the public interface of
your library.

But I'd strongly suggest sticking to standards and/or simplicity when
you can.  Case in point-- I've got two names for Purr Data-- Pd-l2ork and
Purr Data-- and it needlessly confuses people.

-Jonathan