[L2Ork-dev] updating cyclone

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 20:09:05 UTC 2017

> What's the timeline for a stable release? I'd much prefer maintaining a
> branch to test these
> changes, and waiting for a stable release to merge than including an alpha
> (or even beta) version.

Well, calling it a beta/alpha or anything doesn't mean as much as it
should.

For one thing, older versions of cyclone were always marked as alpha/beta.
The one in Purr Data now is 0.2 beta "something".

The main focus of cyclone 0.3 is to update it to current max version (max
7), most of the objects in cyclone were outdated to max 4.0! This task went
far, there are about 4 objects that still need updates, and the idea to
stop calling it alpha/beta is when that is over. But we don't really know
when that will happen, or even if we'll manage to complete that. We don't
have that roadmap.

But the point is that if you compare the releases, cyclone 0.3 offers tons
of improvements and bug fixes. Not only the updates we've made to objects
to be compliant with the current max version, but we've also dealt with
zillion of issues, not to mention a completely rewritten documentation,
with numerous improvements.

It is way more stable and improved than the current version in Purr Data,
and it is not really like it is going through "untested" and "experimental"
phase. Though we are trying a couple of new things, and they must be done
and completed in the next few days as well. It just depends on Matt handing
me the new magic dependency.

So i really hope you can include the new version in it, there isn't really
anything else "in the way", or a major task to be done before we can call
this a more "stable" release. We've worked on it for over a year now and
did put a release when it was considered very mature. Our current work for
cyclone 0.3 alpha 2 consists mostly in making it available for Purr Data,
with a proper and working documentation, plus a couple of new objects and
some improvements on how we were dealing with the "magic" feature.

Please reconsider and I hope you can include our work in Purr Data right
away. I have been trying and using our new version in Purr Data for a while
now, and haven't seen any issue come up.

cheers