[L2Ork-dev] gui port

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 07:17:02 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:23 AM, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Yes, but I'd rather not index the entire thing.

Why not? You only need to index the *-help.pd patches. There are 2455 of
those in extra. If scanning these on every startup is too slow, the help
browser could have a button to only run the indexing on demand.

> I'd like to choose only those
> libs which are being actively (and sustainably) maintained to show up in
> the search results.

My take on this is that if an external is included in the package then its
documentation should be accessible, no matter in what state it is. A bad
help patch is still better than none at all. Right now I have to search for
the external help patches with File/Open which is a workable solution but
inconvenient.

> It might also be nice to have links to the manual and other popular
> starting
> points by default.

Yes, that would be nice!

> Once I'm in beta I'll get more rigorous about the debug messages.

Ok, that's fair.

> > Jonathan, does sys_vgui() let me execute JavaScript code in purr-data?
>
> No. sys_vgui can only print its old tcl string to the console.

Ok, but surely there's a way to invoke exported functions from pdgui.js et
al from Pd's internals? Maybe that C routine could be exposed in m_pd.h
until a proper external GUI API is crafted?

> Well, right now I'm just cheating and adding specific code to pdgui.js for
> handling gui external classes like Scope~.  I'm leaving the external GUI
> API question for a later time.

The JS routines I need are already there; external_doc_open is all I need.
I just need a way to invoke that routine from C code. If that's not
possible then I'll have to work around that somehow, but I really need that
functionality in my Pure and Faust externals.

Email:  aggraef at gmail.com