[L2Ork-dev] gui port

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 22:23:12 UTC 2016

   > On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 4:08 PM, Albert Graef <aggraef at gmail.com> wrote:

 > On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 3:15 AM, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> > wrote:

Hm... scratch that-- I just synced the libs that had missing files with
Pd-l2ork.  I probably missed a commit or two somewhere.

> Looking good! An AUR package is now up at
>https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/purr-data-git/. This always builds from
> the latest git sources and can be used as a drop-in replacement for the
> pd-l2ork or pd-l2ork-git package. Just run `yaourt -S purr-data-git` and you
> should be set (be patient, this package takes quite a while to build).
Wow, that was quick!  Does this mean I can drop manually building the
Manjaro binary and just leave it to the arch packaging system?

> (Sorry, no Ubuntu PPAs yet, I need to find more copious spare time to work
> on that.)
I understand that. :)

> Three usability issues I noticed:

> - The help browser is fairly minimalistic, but I like it. The only gripe that I have with it is that it only searches /usr/lib/pd-l2ork/doc. Is there a way to also make it search the extra folder?
Yes, but I'd rather not index the entire thing.  I'd like to choose only those
libs which are being actively (and sustainably) maintained to show up in
the search results.
It might also be nice to have links to the manual and other popular starting
points by default.

> - Changing the font size interactively (using Edit/Font) doesn't work. After
> changing the font all the object and message boxes in the patch look empty.
Added a bug to the tracker.

> - I'd like to be able to reduce the amount of scary debug messages that
> purr-data keeps blurting out when it hits some legacy stuff that's not supported
> any more. I understand that these are necessary for devs to find out about
> externals that need their attention, but for the normal user it adds a lot of
> unwelcome noise to the main window. For starters, it would be nice to have at
> least an option so that "Old command" only prints at most a single line of text
> for each unrecognized Tcl command, maybe just something like `Old
> command at pure.c:1228` without the actual contents of the message.
Once I'm in beta I'll get more rigorous about the debug messages.

> Other than that, purr-data really works amazingly well already! I really like it
> very much, and the prospect of having cross-platform compatibility makes me > want to use it in our lab asap, once the 3 issues above are fixed in some way.
Great!

> Jonathan, does sys_vgui() let me execute JavaScript code in purr-data?

No. sys_vgui can only print its old tcl string to the console.

> Specifically, I need a replacement for `::pd_menucommands::menu_openfile`
> so that I can run $EDITOR on the source files of Pure and Faust externals.
> Obviously the functions to do that kind of thing are already in pdgui.js, but
> how to invoke them from an external?
Well, right now I'm just cheating and adding specific code to pdgui.js for
handling gui external classes like Scope~.  I'm leaving the external GUI
API question for a later time.
At the moment there is gui_pddplink_open in pdgui.js.  I could
rename that to gui_doc_open.  But shouldn't this instead be a function
in m_pd.h or something?

-Jonathan

Email:  aggraef at gmail.com
WWW:    https://plus.google.com/+AlbertGraef