[L2Ork-dev] gui port

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 02:02:25 UTC 2016

    > On Monday, June 20, 2016 5:49 PM, Albert Graef <aggraef at gmail.com> wrote:

 > On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 8:05 PM, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> wrote:

This is probably because the nw.js binary/libs are missing.  ATM I am manually downloading the nw.js binary for the relevant architecture, un-tarring, then moving the contents into pd/nw/nw.

> Oops, I missed that bit. Will give it another whirl. I think that the right place in
> tar_em_up to pull nw.js is where git init / update is run to fetch the
> submodules. That shouldn't be very difficult.
That sounds right.
In this process I've been extremely cautious about doing anything whatsoever
to the build scripts.  It's the most brittle thing I've ever seen, and after more
than six months I still don't have a mental model of how it works.
> Creating a proper Debian source package which can be built on the
> Launchpad servers is another matter, though, since you can't just pull
> random binary blobs during the build there. And there really doesn't seem
> to be a package for nw.js on Launchpad, only older versions of node-webkit.
Someone on the nw.js group said they were working on a ppa a few months
back, but I haven't heard anything else about it.
The only mention of a Debian package was from me, and currently there are
no takers (including me :)

> So we either need to package nw.js first, or include the nw.js binaries in the
> Debian source package (IIRC there are ways to do this, but they are a bit
> awkward).
If packaging nw.js is something you'd like to investigate further, please do.
Unfortunately a project that big is beyond my expertise.

> Arch should be easier. For one thing, there's a nw.js package in the Arch User > Repositories. And of course an AUR PKGBUILD can also just pull the
> upstream nw.js package without any ado.
Ah, that's great.

For OSX, it's not documented at all yet. :(

> Ok, no worries. I'll take a look at the Linux side first.

Additionally, I can't successfully build a 32-bit target on OSX, and Gem needs 32-bit to work on OSX.

> Ouch. :( I think that we should just ignore that issue for now. Having a 64 bit
> version without Gem on Mac is better than nothing. What's the issue with Gem
> on 64 bit OSX, does it need Carbon there?
Yes, that is my understanding.

> BTW, maybe you could upload the a0 package for OSX to the new binary
> repo at https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/binaries, so that Mac users have at least
> the older version to play with for the time being?
It's available-- go to git.purrdata.net and click "all".

Email:  aggraef at gmail.com
WWW:    https://plus.google.com/+AlbertGraef