[L2Ork-dev] handling spaces inside labels

Liam Goodacre liamg_uw at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 1 11:09:43 UTC 2016

Hey guys

In Vanilla, spaces are rudely replaced with underscores inside the labels for canvas and other GUI objects. It looks like you've figured out a more elegant solution with L2Ork, where the spaces get a backslash in the .pd file and hence are allowed to pass into the patch.

This is great, but it's creating a small conflict with other distributions, as you get  a Tcl error if you try to draw the properties menu for the given object in Vanilla. I'm attaching a small patch for demonstration. Under certain circumstances, the conflict also seems to prevent other of the object's properties from loading. I discovered the problem like this, although I have been unable to reproduce it since then, so I don't know what the conditions are.

I will offer that the non breaking space could be used to solve this problem. It simulates a space inside a label and works in Vanilla patches without any problem.

For reference, I'm on L2Ork 20160530 and Vanilla 0.47.

Liam