[L2Ork-dev] feature request: subpatch encapsulation

Gilberto Agostinho gilbertohasnofb at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 30 19:02:07 UTC 2015

Hi Ico, hi all,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that it is much easier to be
throwing ideas around (like I do) than to implement them, and I can see
why this particular feature would be more time consuming than a simple
bug correction.

As for the bounty system, I don't have any objections about it at all,
but I've never felt much comfortable with it either (other projects
which I contribute use bounty systems). The problem for me is the amount
of a bounty: if you are paying someone to do a work, the payment has to
be worth doing it. If something takes several hours (or days) to
implement, it would be ridiculous to offer few money for it. But on the
other hand, it's a single user who is backing up this feature request,
and so what I found is that unless an user _really_ needs a feature then
usually he or she does not proposes bounties at all. And these few
bounties that I came across for this type of project were relatively
high (at least for me as a student). So in the end I'd much rather
donate something that I can spare without being concerned if that's too
few than to offer an embarrassing bounty for this or that feature.

As for Kickstarter, that could work out really well. There are a lot of
Pure Data users around the world, and 99% of them agree that pd vanilla
and extended are missing important things, particularly when it comes to
the GUI (exactly what l2Ork is addressing the best). For the average
user (myself included), the GUI makes a really important part of the
whole experience and workflow, and no matter how many times you tell
them that you can do this or that in Pd as well as in Max MSP, they
_feel_ that Max can do more, is better, etc. But I believe that for a
Kickstarter campaign to work out, it would be quite important to be able
to offer Pd-l2Ork for Windows and Mac as well in order to attract more
users (and more financial backing).

These are just ideas from the top of my head and I hope you'll
understand my opinions.

Take care,
Gilberto