[L2Ork-dev] Help a complete Linux noob install pd-l2ork!

Reed Perkins reedperkins32 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 01:02:22 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

I am trying to install pd-l2ork in Linux Mint 17.1 and have run into some
problems. Noob disclaimer: I am not tech-savvy. I have never 'compiled'
anything or used Termnal before etc. However I REALLY want to try out
pd-l2ork because it seems to have so many awesome features that I wish
pd-extended had.

Here's what I've done so far:

I partitioned my hard drive (running OS 10.9 on a macbook pro) and
installed the latest version of Linux Mint. I went to the Virginia Tech
site and followed the instructions exactly. I downloaded the 32-bit .deb
file, opened it with package installer, installed the missing dependencies
with sudo apt-get install -f and....nothing. No icons, no evidence that
pd-l2ork has been installed anywhere. I type in "pd-l2ork" into Terminal
and i get "pd-l2ork: command not found", I try searching for the program
itself on the hard disk and...nothing.

I tried again with the 64-bit .deb file. The 4 icons appear, as well as a
bunch of l2ork related stuff in /usr/bin/ and /usr/lib, but when I try to
run the program, all I get it the following error--

usr/lib/pd-l2ork/bin/pd-gui: error while loading shared libraries:
libtk8.5.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

--then something called watchdog keeps trying to signal pd and freezes up
the terminal.

I installed pd-vanilla earlier to make sure I could actually install
something when I wasn't able to get pd-l2ork to run, and vanilla works just
fne. So it sounds like maybe they can't coexist? If that's the case how do
I get rid of Vanilla?

 I have no idea how to troubleshoot in Linux so if anyone could give me
some pointers that would be awesome!!

Thanks,

Reed