[L2Ork-dev] $0 weirdness

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 18:03:50 UTC 2015

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 5:14 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

> To get a better idea what I am doing here, is # only used at the beginning
> of a string (e.g. #0-something or #1), or can it be used anywhere (e.g.
> boo-#0 or blah#2boo)? Also, should it be escaped only if it is followed by
> a number? (e.g. #0 should be escaped, whereas # or #abc should not).

AFAICT, this is only used with the built-in non-IEM number and symbol boxes
(floatatom and symbolatom) in stored patch files. The # must be followed by
a number. Apparently the #0, #1 etc.can occur anywhere in the send/receive
symbol (I tested with stuff like foo-#0-bar and it works as expected). $0
aka #0 expands to the unique patch id, while $i aka #i expands to the ith
creation argument of the abstraction in its mother patch, if any.

If you can provide some clarification what are traditional uses of this,
> perhaps I can put in some filtering to figure out how we can hopefully
> address both scenarios.

That would be great.

> Finally, why do we even have #0 when one can simply write $0?

Max compatibility? Plain old cruft? I have no idea, you'll have to ask
Miller. ;-)

The number and symbol boxes seem to be the only places where this
"convenience" is in use, everywhere else (including the IEM GUI objects)
the $i's are stored as \$i (which, incidentally, also works with number and
symbol boxes in reading a patch, but both vanilla and extended Pd insist on
storing it again as #i when writing the patch). At least that's what I
could deduce from playing around with a few test patches.

Email:  aggraef at gmail.com