[L2Ork-dev] external objects path

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Sat Nov 15 03:54:15 UTC 2014

I think this is something I don't feel as strongly about as you do.
Perhaps one possibility would be to recursively navigate subfolders,
rather than devising some kind of a one-of navigation with a subfolder.
But there is a more fundamental problem we need to tackle first which is
the order of paths in respect to individual patches. I agree with
Jonathan that the first place a patch should look is its own folder and
then go from there to explore the rest of the paths. If so, I would
first worry about this, then worry about recursive searching of an
object, which would also address your request.

All that said, I am wondering if you are suggesting that pd-extended is
able to recognize an external in a subfolder with a same name? If so, I
wonder if this is a feature or a byproduct of the current implementation...

On 11/14/2014 7:54 PM, Gilberto Agostinho wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am sorry to bump this up, but I have the impression this message got
> forgotten in the middle the discussions about the latest commits.
>
> Best,
> Gilberto
>
> On 13/11/14 03:34, Gilberto Agostinho wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I just found out that Pd-l2Ork behaves differently than Pd-extended
>> when it comes to the path of external objects. Let's say I have some
>> objects named exampleN and their help files in the following folder
>> structure:
>>
>> ~/.pd/extra-objects/example1/example1.pd
>> ~/.pd/extra-objects/example1/example1-help.pd
>> ~/.pd/extra-objects/example2/example2.pd
>> ~/.pd/extra-objects/example2/example2-help.pd
>> ~/.pd/extra-objects/example3/example3.pd
>> ~/.pd/extra-objects/example3/example3-help.pd
>>
>> That is, I don't want to simply put all these extra objects in a same
>> folder, each one has their one specific folder with the same name.
>> With Pd-extended, I could simply add ~/.pd/extra-objects to my path,
>> and all of them would be automatically loaded (if and only if their
>> subfolder names are the exact same as the object's name). This is
>> very handy because you can organize your objects better, and also
>> needs less work than adding each single one of them to your path.
>>
>> What do you think about this?
>>
>> Best,
>> Gilberto

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.