[L2Ork-dev] ANN: pd-l2ork v.20130920 released

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 10:58:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 10:43 PM, Alan Brooker
<alan.brooker2010 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I think In have a conflicting error when installing? I have Pd-extended
> installed and I used to have vanilla but recently uninstalled. Thanks for
> any advice

This is really a long-standing issue. :) I think that it has been
solved (kind of) for pdsend/receive, but it now rears its head again
with the inclusion of the Gem headers (/usr/include/Gem) and pkgconfig
(/usr/lib/pkgconfig/Gem.pc) in both pd-extended and pd-l2ork.

I'm not sure what's the best way to resolve this. Debian packaging
allows you to automagically move conflicting files at package install
time, but IIRC this needs a minimal amount of cooperation between
package maintainers to work both ways. On Arch I have solved this for
now by just removing cyclist/pdsend/pdreceive and the Gem development
files from the pd-l2ork AUR package, as these are present in other
packages which are often installed in parallel with pd-l2ork. As a
result, pd-l2ork can happily coexist with both vanilla pd and
pd-extended on Arch now. But what about Fedora? openSUSE? This issue
is bound to crop up again and again for each distro which begins
packaging pd-l2ork.

FWIW, so far I haven't noticed any issues while using pdsend and
pdreceive from other Pd flavors with pd-l2ork. I'm not sure about the
cyclist program, I have never used it and I can't find any
documentation about it either; but I doubt that the versions included
in pd-l2ork and pd-extended will differ much, if at all. The Gem
development files are a different story, of course, because some
implementations like pd-l2ork use the latest Gem from git while others
may use the stable Gem releases. But I guess (and this is really just
a guess, I haven't tried it) that in practice it won't really matter
much which Gem headers you use, as long as they are reasonably new. In
the light of these observations, it seems desirable to me to have
these items in separate packages which can be used with whatever Pd
flavor one prefers. But of course this will require cooperation by the
package maintainers to get it all sorted out.

Just my 2c,

Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  aggraef at gmail.com
WWW:    https://plus.google.com/111193356966611167754