[L2Ork-dev] Fwd: RE: preset_hub isues/questions

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 18:22:01 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico.bukvic at gmail.com>wrote:

>  On 08/25/2013 10:43 AM, András Murányi wrote:
>
>  Check if you are using any third party GUI objects that have not been
> accelerated yet. They can be easily identified because their selection is
> in blue rather than orange. Beyond that, I will need the patch to study. Is
> there a lot of gui activity?
>

>  I tested with the sequencer stopped, however it is a huge GUI. I'll
> eventually send the patch later.
>  The offending objects are:
>  cyclone/comment
>  tof/pmenu
>  tof/menubutton
>

> cyclone/comment is going away in the next release. I fixed it/accelerated
> it but there are a bunch of other design issues I don't feel like fixing.
> Eventually, I want vanilla comment to replace its functionality. You can
> still manually compile it for your own version if you like--it is just it
> has too many design issues I don't like to fix.

Not a problem for me... I'm not depending on it at all.

> I'll also check tof soon and see what we can fix/keep and what has to go
> away.

Thanks for that.

> That said, if these elements are not moving during runtime or changing
> colors or being interacted with, there should be no slowdown because of
> them. If they are being altered in real-time that can cause slowdowns.

Well, we started from the slowness of preset_node_array when the containing
patch is big or uses non-accelerated objects.
I'd be interested to see if having only accelerated object in the patch
speeds up preset_node_array.
Although I don't know the internal workings of pd-l2ork, my impression is
that it iterates through all objects (perhaps several times) to look up
certain ones, and the slowdown happens when there are so many objects to
iterate through.

> I didn't know the blue/orange selection trick, it's neat.
>  And I like the new window colors. They use my OS settings, right?
>

> Thanks! It is currently hardwired to follow Ubuntu colors but can be
> easily changed inside pd.tk file.

BTW, I have transported the column breaking mechanism in tof/pmenu to
tof/menubutton.
Please, when you are there, review and accept the patch to l2ork. (It's a
two-liner.)
https://sourceforge.net/p/pure-data/patches/514/

Thanks,

András