[L2Ork-dev] pd-l2ork font sizes

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Sat May 19 06:55:54 UTC 2012

Hi Ico,

> Regarding your question, I did not change the default font sizes in
> iemguis so it is likely that the pd/extended did this in the 0.43 branch
> which we haven't yet integrated into pd-l2ork since the 0.43 codebase is
> still a moving target.

You're right, the screenshot was from a pd-extended-0.43 snapshot, the
stable 0.42.5 release indeed has the same font sizes as pd-l2ork. So it
certainly makes sense to keep it that way until pd-l2ork gets rebased on
0.43 (which would be nice to have some time, if only to get the GUI
extension stuff from 0.43).

> That said, this
> should have no bearing on loading existing patches since patches save
> iemgui objects' font sizes so patches made in other versions of pd
> should still look the same inside pd-l2ork.

Alas, that's not what I see here. The IEM font sizes (as rendered) *are*
different depending on the particular Pd version, even though the
patches are exactly the same (those three screenshots I posted were all
from the same patch).

This has always been a muddy area. I've gone through quite some Pd
revisions in the past few years, and it seems that this stuff keeps
changing all the time. In 0.43.2 Miller now changed the font parameters
once again (the font sizes are more or less the same as in 0.43.1,
AFAICT, but the fonts appear fatter). IMHO, that change isn't exactly
for the better either. ;-)

Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag