[L2Ork-dev] Purr Data 2.14.2

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 07:38:18 EDT 2020

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 2:57 AM Albert Graef <aggraef at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 6:12 PM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I think there is another-- instead of triggering the beginning of the
>> mode on `<ctrl>`, we could trigger it on click.
>

> That sounds like the most sensible solution.

Or maybe not. On second thought, I think that we want to give immediate
visual feedback when the user enters temp runmode, especially now that we
have the editmode grid. If we defer that until actually clicking something,
that doesn't provide immediate feedback any more. This is true no matter
whether Ctrl or Alt is the modifier.

Now we may be able to fudge that by just handling the visual feedback on
the spot in the GUI as soon as the user presses the temp runmode key. But
if we return to Ctrl that means that we still have that annoying flashing
of the grid whenever the user presses Ctrl to enter a menu shortcut. Look
at it any way you like, if we want to give immediate visual feedback for
temp runmode (and I think we should), then having Ctrl bound to that
function is just more trouble than it's worth. Vanilla can get away with
that only because it hardly provides any visual cues in that case and hence
there's no such flashing effect (other than the cursor changing shape,
which is easy to ignore).

It's really a tricky issue. All in all, I think that the switch to the Alt
key provides the cleanest solution, because it eradicates most of these
annoying side-effects in one fell swoop. There's still the issue that
Joseph reported, with Alt-click not exiting temporary runmode after opening
a subpatch. But I think that this is a minor bug which can actually be
fixed by Jonathan's first method (sending a fake Alt keyup in the
corresponding click handler). This will be *much* easier than having to
fake those keyups in every single menu handler that may invoke a popup, so
I think that I'll be able to implement this by myself without too much
difficulty. I'll look into that next.

Albert

But is that really the only thing that you can do in temp runmode? (Sorry,