[L2Ork-dev] regression tests as part of the build

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 18:04:19 EDT 2020

Hi Jonathan,

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 5:32 PM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 1. Does that mean that now when a user runs `make` the tests get run?

No, they're separate targets, but that's customary. You wouldn't want the
tests to be mandatory like that. If you want to test right after the build,
just run `make all check`, simple as that. There's also the possibility to
run `make all check1` if you only want to do the basic regression test.

2. If not, can we change the build system so that it runs the tests as
> part of the build?

See 1. :)

I guess the one tricky part is `make light`. It wouldn't succeed on
> the external tests.

It already fails regression_tests.pd, because that test invokes the
cxc/hex2dec external which the light build doesn't include. So `make light
check1` returns a nonzero exit status.

The idea of the light build is that it only includes the absolutely
essential externals so that Purr Data will work and nothing else (getting
as close to a vanilla-like package as possible), and I'd really like it to
stay that way.

I'd suggest to simply add a stripped-down version of regression_tests.pd,
say regression_tests0.pd, that doesn't need cxc/hex2dec (or maybe replaces
that part of the test with something else that's in the core). Then I can
add another check0 target, so that you could run `make light check0` to
build and test that version.

Email: aggraef at gmail.com, web: https://agraef.github.io/