[L2Ork-dev] More Gitlab misbehavior

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 00:43:46 EST 2020

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 10:05 PM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Once, again, the Purr Data Gitlab CE instance is eating up hard drive space.
>
> I'm currently watching it eat about 10 megs per second. No artifacts
> are building, so this is an *additional* problem to that.
>
> Albert or Matt-- if you'd like and have time, I can key you up in ssh
> so you can log into the machine and help me figure out what is eating
> the space and how to stop it.
>
> Otherwise, I'm giving up on Gitlab and moving to Github.

Never mind-- it turns out Gitlab ships with a "time-series monitoring
service" whose apparent job this week was to fill a folder named
"prometheus" with 40 gigabytes of data.

So we have the insane default of permanently saving every artifact on
every extant branch, and the insane default of shipping a data-miner
that apparently has no meaningful log size limit.

Please let me know the next time you see a 500 error for the repo,
because that will mean it's time to migrate to github.

Best,
Jonathan