[L2Ork-dev] Inquiry Regarding Participation in Project for Gsoc'24

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 22:22:00 EST 2024

On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 9:09 AM Chinnari Narashimha
<chinnarinarashimha at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Purr Data,
> Myself Chinnari Narashimha and currently pursuing my Btech in NIT Rourkela. I came across your organization and went through the project lists for 2024. After carefully looking at the list of projects available, I am particularly interested in contributing to "Incrementally Improve the Autocomplete Feature". I believe that my skills in javascript, ui/ux, css and pd language (which i will be learning) will make me suited to contribute in these projects. I really liked the project Ideas and I have some ideas which we can use in this project.
>
> WEEK 1: Research and Planning
> - understand the project details and requirements.
> -gather additional more information,if needed
> -will spend time using autocomplete feature in Purr Data
> -collect feedback from user on issues, bugs
> -will research more on auto-complete feature in other applications for inspiration(not copying)
>
> WEEK 2: Design and Analysis
> -document and prioritize bugs, usability and design flaws during research.
> -will ensure proposed improvements align with Purr Data GUI design principles
> - will review and refine again based on proposed feedback and considerations.
>
> WEEK 3:Implementation and Core Functionality
> -will set up the development environment and will install necessary tools and packages required for development.
> -will begin implementing the core functionality of auto-complete feature
>
> WEEK 4 and WEEK 5:Testing, Bug Fixing and Optimization
> -will focus on getting the core functionality working
> - will gather feedback from initial testing.
> - will expand the functionality more based on needs and project requirements
> -conduct extensive testing on bug,edge cases and usability issues.
>
> WEEK 6: Documentation
> -document the implementation details and changes made during the development.
> -will communicate with the team for enhancements.
>
>  WEEK 7:Pre-FInal Review
> -will do final testing to identify any remaining issues.
> - can make small changes based on feedback from the team
>
> WEEK 8: Final Review and Submission
> -will review the project to ensure all requirements have been met.
> - will double check documentation.
>
> It's a rough timeline on how we can complete this project. But we can make changes if required.
>
> Additionally, If you could guide me on how to join the open community or forums where community members discuss this project ideas.
> Please let me know how I can get involved and if there are any specific steps I should take to further explore more on this project.
> Thank You for your time and consideration and I look forward to the opportunity to contribute to this project.

Hello Chinnari,

Welcome!

If you check out our Gitlab repository you will see some guidelines in
the readme for how to contribute. A good place to start is by
downloading the source and seeing if you can successfully build Purr
Data on your OS.

There are also some issues on the tracker marked as "good-first-bug"
that you can look into trying to fix to get a sense of the development
process.

As for your proposed schedule-- I think it stretches the development
process over too long a time span. "Incremental improvement" means
just that-- you want a collection small, easy-to-grasp improvements
that you can work out over a short amount of time. Then build on that
with another set of improvements.

It would be better to start the first week actually implementing a
small change so you can get familiar with the cycle of development.
Similarly, you can use each week to iterate on the feature and
continue implementing improvements.

Best,
Jonathan