[L2Ork-dev] GSOC Contributer

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 13:47:07 EDT 2023

Hi Morgan,

Greetings!

cc'ing Albert here as he's done a lot of the recent work on the build
system. Also Sam, who I talked to about how to make some improvements.

We've talked about a few different things. The current recursive
makefile system is extremely difficult to reason about. IIRC Sam had
some ideas about using meson instead-- that is work that could be done
without disrupting the current makefile hairball.

On a related note-- one important goal would be to make the core
buildable with the -Werror flag. I did some work toward this, but it's
really gotten away from us in recent years.

Also-- there are some speedups needed in the CI system for downloading
the nw.js binary and other things. Honestly, the long build times and
intractable build system are the two blockers to me working on Purr
Data. It makes it nearly impossible to iterate effectively, and
literally impossible to onboard anybody else. The dependency lists for
building on the readme.md are generally wrong. And with every new
msys2 version there is a new missing windows dep.

Albert-- do you have a sense of some of the low-hanging fruit here?

-Jonathan