[L2Ork-dev] GSOC Query

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 13:26:04 EDT 2022

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 1:55 AM Adelaide Zhang <adelaidemzhang at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently found out about the GSOC program, and I see that the deadline is very close—I was wondering if it’s not too late to submit an application.I am a current MSCS grad student at NYU with a background in theatrical audio. I very much enjoyed using Max in the past and would love to be able to get involved with its open source sibling.

Definitely not too late. Please do put together an application, I'll
try to help today if I can.

> I do have a couple of questions—I ran into some make issues when building from the source code (though the pre-compiled app works fine), and I wonder if it’s possibly because I’m working on an Apple Silicon Mac. The only reference I’ve found to the issue on the mailing list is from a year ago here: http://disis.music.vt.edu/pipermail/l2ork-dev/2021-April/003744.html. One of the errors I get is “clang: error: the clang compiler does not support '-mcpu=7450”, but I can provide the rest of the build output if needed.

I seem to remember someone mentioning the new Apple chips on the Pure
Data vanilla list. Perhaps search there to see if anyone made progress
on it:

https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/

> If the chip is the issue, is there already a solution for this, or would creating build compatibility with M1 be enough of a basis for a project idea? If it wouldn’t be enough on its own, would it be possible to combine that with a different medium-sized project? I’d be particularly interested in the Vintage Platform Audio Emulation Library and Data Over Audio Messaging ideas.

That would definitely be possible. There's also the project to save us
from our monstrous build system, but that may be too large for a
medium-sized project.

Best,
Jonathan