[L2Ork-dev] Doubt regarding the Purr Data project

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 14:09:08 EDT 2021

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 8:26 AM GUNJAN YADU <gunjanyadu6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Jonathan,
> I would like to ask you about the difference between pure data and purr data project. I learned about pure data and its features. But  I have read the section given in the repository regarding the relationship between the two.

Purr Data is essentially a fork of Pure Data.

Pure Data is often referred to as "Pd Vanilla" because it has an
ascetic interface and ships with only a small core library of classes.
It also uses the tcl/tk GUI toolkit which is quite limited in its
features.

Purr Data instead uses HTML5 for the GUI by leveraging the nw.js
toolkit (essentially like Electron).

Unfortunately, Pure Data (Pd Vanilla) has a bunch of tcl commands
hard-coded into the C backend to talk to the GUI. So it was
impractical to switch to a more modern interface without forking the
entire project.

That's a simplification. If you read the section in the README, it's
more like Pd Vanilla -> (unmaintained) Pd-extended -> Pd-l2ork 1.0 ->
Purr Data. In other words, Purr Data ships with most of the same
libraries that Pd-extended had, and it benefits from a lot of the GUI
improvements from Pd-l2ork 1.0.

Best,
Jonathan