[L2Ork-dev] Windows Gem is broken in master

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 16:18:56 EST 2021

Hi all,

The windows build system under MSYS2 no longer ships libdl.dll which
Gem apparently uses for its dynamic loading of dependencies.

There's a big, fancy warning in the CI logs about this, which I pasted below.

Fixing this problem probably requires caring about the following:

* why MSYS2 no longer ships libdl.dll

* libtool

* Gem working under Windows

If you have those cares, *and* you can fix the problem using only the
dependencies available through pacman under MSYS2 (i.e., no
hand-compiling extra bullshit just to get this library to work),
please send a merge request and I'll have a look at it.

In the meantime, Gem won't work under Windows if you check out the
code from master.

"Warning" is below.

Best,
Jonathan

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -ldl.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libdl and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked: C:/msys64/mingw32/lib/libdl.a

*** Warning: libtool could not satisfy all declared inter-library
*** dependencies of module Gem.  Therefore, libtool will create
*** a static module, that should work as long as the dlopening
*** application is linked with the -dlopen flag.