[L2Ork-dev] Snapping to grid

Gilberto Agostinho gilbertohasnofb at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 28 14:09:49 EST 2021

Hi everyone,

I just would like to make some comments about the new snapping grid
feature. I know this topic has been discussed before, such as in the
thread 'Purr Data straight patch chords option and disabling grid
background', but I thought that replying to an older thread would not be
the best way to talk about this (apologies if I should have done just that).

I do like the new snapping feature very much, it is such a nice addition
to Purr-Data! But similarly to the OP of the previously mentioned
thread, I also dislike having the grid in the background as I find it
quite distracting. I would much prefer it to be white all the time, even
with the snapping option turned on. In my opinion, even if the grid
would be completely hidden, the option of snapping objects would still
be useful as a way of quantising their possible positions, leading to
neater patches when compared to disabling the snapping feature, but at
the same time without the overly distracting grid in the background.

 From what I understood from that thread, one of the reasons for not
adding an option to completely hide the grid is to allow users to
differentiate between edit and run modes. But in Pd Vanilla (and I
believe also in previous versions of Purr Data) this difference was
handled mostly using different mouse cursors for each mode, which seemed
to work fine for their users: the cursor was a hand in edit mode and an
arrow in run mode (I think vanilla also adds a [edit] tag to the window
title, though this seems hardly useful). The cursor change between modes
is still present in Purr-Data 2.15.2, so people used to Pd vanilla or to
the old way of showing different modes would still be able to clearly
differentiate between them (though I think that leaving the grid on by
default is good thing for new users). In this case, perhaps it could be
worth considering to add an option for users to set the opacity of the
grid; some might want it very light, others such as myself might want it
gone altogether, while others might still like the default opacity.

In terms of my workflow, I tend to leave my patches almost constantly in
edit mode and I hold Alt to momentarily change the mode and click on
buttons/messages, and releasing it to go back to editing my patch. I
think most people doing live-coding will also work in a similar fashion.
As a short comment, this shortcut also seems to have been altered at
some point, so now it is Alt (and not Ctrl) that momentarily activates
run mode in Purr-Data, although Ctrl is still used in Pd vanilla. A bit
confusingly, Ctrl-e (and not Alt-e) is used to toggle between modes. Was
there some incompatibility with the older Ctrl shortcut that led to this
change?

Many thanks!
Gilberto