[L2Ork-dev] Help doc improvement

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 14:00:49 EST 2021

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 7:30 AM Flachy Joe <flachyjoe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Another possibility could be to use text comments for the tooltips.
> Every text above (under) inlets(outlets) comments them in the same order.

I think using inlet(~)/outlet(~) arguments is cleaner. Still, these
approaches don't
cover the common case of having a tooltip for the abstraction itself.
Mousing over the
inlet 0 we may want "frequency" to be displayed. But mousing over the object box
itself we may want "bandlimited saw wave".

Original approach was to put comments in a [pd META] subpatch of the help patch,
and then parse that when the user hovered over a box or an xlet. But
that's a pain
to maintain, e.g., the help patch author writes a normal description
in the main patch,
then has to re-write it in the [pd META] subpatch, plus keep them sync'd.

-Jonathan