[L2Ork-dev] Help doc improvement

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 18:34:40 EST 2021

Hi all,

Just had a documentation epiphany:

1. add a div above the svg for a canvas (for now just assume every
canvas window has such a div)

2. add an offset for checking mouse coords that subtracts the bottom
of this div from the pageY

3. have the GUI check if a new canvas to be created has "-help.pd" in
the title. E.g., "float-help.pd"

2. If so, flag it and stat "float.md"

3. If "float.md" exists, grab the contents, parse them with a markdown
parser, and shove it all into the div's innerHTML from step 1.

4. Now we have a uniform help system where it's easy to write free
prose, and it will wrap responsively when resizing the window, with an
example patch at the bottom.

5. can easily add "float_de.md" and "float_fr.md" for multi-language help.

This will make the core help docs *way* easier to edit, track in git,
and read. And it shouldn't be *too* hard to convert the current mess
of comments and cnv labels to markdown files to get started.

As a side-benefit, we can also search for "patchname-help.html" and if
it exists, load it up in the div's innerHTML. That will give people a
way to write arbitrary html stuff to be displayed and used in
conjunction the "patchname-help.pd" patch.

If it works we can look later about how to edit the markdown in
editmode, how to display/hide the example patch, etc.

Best,
Jonathan