[L2Ork-dev] Purr Data and Google Season of Docs

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 14:56:52 EDT 2021

Hi all,

We got accepted into the Google Season of Docs program!

You can see our proposed idea here:

https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/summer-of-code-ideas-list/-/blob/master/sod_idea.md

This is the first time we've participated, so I'm still learning how
things will go. But if anyone has some input or would be interested in
participating, you can respond here on the list.

Initial impressions of the proposal:

Just re-reading what I wrote in the sod_idea.md, one question stands out:

Are the Purr Data example patches included *inside* the flow of an
HTML page? Or, are the tutorials themselves Purr Data patches?

My current opinion is the same as the one when I wrote the proposal--
we should make it possible to load an interactive patch in a blog post
in the same way that a library like d3 can load an interactive graph.
Currently the web app loads from an index.html file. So we'd need to
fix this up to load a patch in a div using a javascript method call,
plus a hook to specify the file to be loaded.

By doing it that way, the tutorial writer is free to use standard
HTML5 tooling for links, navigation, etc.

Anyway, suggestions on all of the above welcome.

Best,
Jonathan