[L2Ork-dev] Purr Data and MP3 Objects

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Fri Sep 18 10:12:40 EDT 2020

Based on the help file this object needs a lot of love to be truly
usable. See the transposing part on anything other than the 3 apparently
hardcoded sampling rates...

That said, it would be great to be able to support mp3 file
manipulation. What would be even better if you could simply load it into
an array natively and export from it, then all the problems this object
already has would become moot.

On 9/16/2020 7:06 PM, Linux ROUEN Normandie wrote:
> Le 17/09/2020 à 00:01, Jonathan Wilkes a écrit :
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 4:49 PM Linux ROUEN Normandie
>> <linux.rouen at free.fr> wrote:
>>> Thanks Jonathan,
>>> But that means it's not usable by a standard project user.
>> What means that?
> Well, translation from a poor French man speaking poor English (LOL):
> What I meant is that if you are not a guy who builds patchs/subpatchs
> using available objects but only a one who is using a ready-to-go
> project (assembly of patchs) built by someone else, you will never do
> what have been suggested. Not everybody is a developer-programmer,
> even I. So, what about a standard user of Purr Data / Pd Vanilla!
>>> You have to
>>> put your hands under the hood and then into the dirty engine.
>>> I just checked [mp3play~] with 'iemlib' r.1.17 properly installed and
>>> declared under Pd Vanilla v.0.50.2 and it's the same bad behavior than
>>> under Purr Data v.2.13.0. Even more, here 'mp3play~-help.pd' is not
>>> present at all.
>> Do you know where the source code is for the version of mp3play~
>> available through Vanilla?
> As I wrote it, it's not available under Pd Vanilla 0.5.2 / iemlib 1.17
> but only under Purr Data, as far as my little experience.
> I attach to this email what I guess could be the main source file
> (mp3play~.c), but with no guarantee at all, awa its help file
> (mp3play~-help.pd).
> This 'C' file seems to have been tested/working only on: 'debugged for
> windows 013-03-2003' (line 13 of the file).
> These 2 files and few others can be found on your Git repository at:
> '/purr-data/externals/iemlib/iem_mp3/' (accordingly to the copy I have
> on my GNU/Linux PC).
>
> - Joseph
>> -Jonathan
>>
>>> -Joseph
>>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Director, Creativity + Innovation
Co-Director, Human Centered Design iPhD
Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology

Virginia Tech
Creative Technologies in Music
School of Performing Arts – 0141
Blacksburg, VA 24061