[L2Ork-dev] Register before downloading?

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 10:06:07 EDT 2020

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 9:33 AM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 11:04 PM Albert Graef <aggraef at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 6:15 PM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I can update that page so it doesn't require a login. Where should
> >> those links point?
> >

> > All of the links to https://git.purrdata.net/amorsi/purr-data presumably are broken. Also, the "Windows and OSX" link points to https://github.com/jonwwilkes/purr-data/releases which hasn't been updated in a while. The easiest thing would be to just have https://www.purrdata.net/ forward to https://agraef.github.io/purr-data/, which also has all the information and looks much prettier IMHO. ;-)
> >
> >> However, for cloning the repo we seem to be stuck with the login requirement.
> >

> > Needing to register just to *clone* the source repo? That's insane. Did that come flying in with the most recent Gitlab update as well?

I opened the instance up to public perusal. But this is not
maintainable-- spammers *will* begin registering bogus accounts,
creating spam repos, and indexing them on Google.

The only option besides moving to github would be to keep the repo
public but restrict sign ups.

We should probably figure out our course of action in the next few
days before the SEO spam becomes a problem again.

-Jonathan