[L2Ork-dev] Linux dependencies in README.md build guide

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 17:54:39 EDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 11:12 PM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 1. Why are slv2-jack and libslv2-dev build dependencies of Purr Data?
> What does LV2 support in Jack have to do with Purr Data?

I assume that you're talking about the Debian packaging stuff in
purr-data/packages/linux_make/debian, which is probably severely outdated
(those slv2 deps certainly are). Maybe you want to have a look at my
debuild control file (purr-data/debuild/debian/control) and update the
control file in linux_make/debian accordingly. The debuild stuff is always
up-to-date and known to work with every Debian/Ubuntu version younger than
Stretch and Xenial, because I'm using it to build packages on the OBS.

2. What is python-dev doing in there? If it is actually needed, is the
> dependency on Python 2 or Python 3?

That's needed to build one of the DISIS externals, I forgot which one it
was, but Ico should know. And yes, that's really the Python2 version that
it needs, which causes quite some headaches if you want to build Purr on
both old and new Debian/Ubuntu versions. But you can have a look at
purr-data/debuild/debian/control to see how I solved this in the OBS
builds. It would be good if we could just get rid of that Python2
dependency, since Python2 is pretty much on its way out.

Albert

Email: aggraef at gmail.com, web: https://agraef.github.io/