[L2Ork-dev] Getting ready for GSoC coding to begin

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Thu May 28 03:44:09 EDT 2020

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 8:00 AM Albert Graef <aggraef at gmail.com> wrote:

> While we're at it, there's yet another problem: I doubt that rev. 779f31dc
> entirely fixes the issue reported in #299.

False alarm, please ignore that comment. I just installed the very latest
revision and it properly prints an error message with plain bang on the
first inlet now. Seems that I was still running an older version built from
the fix-graph-label-position branch which didn't have commit 779f31dc yet.

So where does this leave us now? For me rev. 779f31dc fixes a bug and an
incompatibility with present vanilla. So it doesn't make any sense to use
-legacy in this case. OTOH, obviously this change may break some patches
employing the "plain bang on select's first inlet" (mis)feature, which is
completely at odds with how select behaves in all other symbol cases.

Heck, apparently even Miller decided to fix this at some point, and he
usually rejects *anything* which breaks backward compatibility in vanilla.

So it's certainly the right thing(TM) to fix this bug IMHO, and if it's not
a breaking change for Miller, then should it be a breaking change for us? I
don't think so. I know that this won't make Ico happy (sorry, Ico!), but I
really think that patches exploiting this (old and undocumented) misfeature
need to be fixed, simple as that. :)

Just my 0.02 cents...

Email: aggraef at gmail.com, web: https://agraef.github.io/