[L2Ork-dev] Getting ready for GSoC coding to begin

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Thu May 28 03:20:50 EDT 2020

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 10:56 PM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On this one we have one reported case from Ico. As I understand it,
> removing a public method like
> this is a breaking change and thus warrants the version bump.

Hmm, maybe I missed something (entirely possible), but I think Ico just
mentioned the *possibility* that this change might break some older
patches. But if it does, then those patches won't work in present vanilla
either, so I don't really see why we should consider this a breaking
change. We don't suddenly want to be even more zealous than vanilla
concerning backward compatibility, do we?

And even if we do, it surely isn't a change on par with the massive update
from version 1 to 2 (i.e., from classic pd-l2ork to modern purr-data). If
anything, I think that this change warrants an update of the minor version,
from 2.10 to 2.11.

But in the end it's your baby, you decide. I just wish that you would think
about this some more. :)

But for this particular version bump there aren't
> any practical consequences, are there?

Well, I'll have to update the website on GH and the "Meet The Cat"
tutorial, at least. Probably some of the GH wiki pages, too.

Email: aggraef at gmail.com, web: https://agraef.github.io/