[L2Ork-dev] Getting ready for GSoC coding to begin

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Wed May 27 14:26:54 EDT 2020

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 1:41 PM Ivica Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

> Thank you, Jonathan. I'm curious as to the reason for removing bang from the selected object? I imagine this may break a number of older patches. Is this something that maintains parity with the vanilla?

It was because the change introduced an ambiguity where argument
"bang" could match
both a "bang" message and "symbol bang" message. Since [route] already
handles bang
unambiguously and since the feature was never documented it seemed
safe to remove it.

I could make a branch of code in the select class to support that
feature and couple it with a
certain compatibility level. But that would require the user to a)
know ahead of time which
version number will unlock that branch and b) manually send a message
to Pd to turn
on that particular compatibility level.

I started an issue related to the problems with the compatibility method:

https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data/-/issues/636

-Jonathan