[L2Ork-dev] Expression of interest in GSoC 2020

Tsz Kiu Pang osamupang at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 11:04:01 EDT 2020

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you very much for your feedback so far.

I have just written a proposal (still a draft at the moment any comment is
welcomed)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tpKn1kro606fv87N1edDwwDmwQCxUYSGKtjd3BfQLik/edit?usp=sharing

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tpKn1kro606fv87N1edDwwDmwQCxUYSGKtjd3BfQLik/edit?usp=sharing>

On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 at 02:03, Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 8:20 AM Tsz Kiu Pang <osamupang at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jonathan,
> >
> > Thank you very much for your feedback.
> >
> > On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 12:06, Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 7:58 AM Tsz Kiu Pang <osamupang at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> >> How about an object based on this misconception mentioned from the
> project idea:
> >>
> >> "as the frequency in a digital audio signal approaches Nyquist the
> >> accuracy of that signal degrades"
> >

> > This sounds interesting. In my mind this could be achieved by having an
> FFT (or
> > something similar) analysing if the high frequency components reaching a
> certain
> > threshold. If it does, then I can add noise to the samples. Please let
> me know if you
> > have something else in mind.
> >

> It would help to do a search and read some forums and other articles
> on that misconception, which is particularly common. Try to find out what
> people
> believe is happening to reduce the quality at those frequencies and
> what it would
> actually sound like if it were true. I think there's a specific way in
> which those
> people believe the signal gets distorted, and I'll be curious to know
> if you find that,
> too.

With a basic search, I found this website which is probably quite helpful:
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/15-popular-audio-myths
<https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/15-popular-audio-myths>
At the moment an idea would be the myth that "Digital audio has steps",
which could be achieved by using adding quantisation noise using a filter.
Does that sound like a viable idea?

> > Although I have been working on the fake news library project, I believe
> the skills
> > are transferable between these two projects, and that my implementation
> of the
> > vinyl~ filter has shown my basic understanding of the pure data API.
>
> So are you thinking of switching to the "Data Over Audio Messaging"
> project?

Given the timeframe, I will just stick to the Fake News project.

Kind regards,
Tsz Kiu