[L2Ork-dev] Expression of interest in GSoC 2020

Tsz Kiu Pang osamupang at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 08:14:59 EDT 2020

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 12:06, Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 7:58 AM Tsz Kiu Pang <osamupang at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I have just created a merge request on GitLab,
> > https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data/-/merge_requests/330
> > which contains a `fakenews` directory in the `externals` with a `vinyl~`
> object in it.
> > This effect is currently implemented as a low shelf filter, which serves
> as a starting point to imitate the "warm" sound that a vinyl produces.
> > To get to the ideal sound, there are still a couple of things to do:
> > 1.  Add the "crackling" sound of vinyl
> > 2.  Use a high shelf filter to decrease the amplitude of some high
> frequency component
> >
> > In addition to that, I am also planning to
> > 1.  Implement a `digital~` object with a high shelf filter to boost the
> high frequency components to implement a "cold" sound of digital music, as
> suggested by you.
> > 2.  Test the filters thoroughly.
> > 3.  Document these objects clearly in the `*-help.pd` patches.
> >
> > I would much appreciate any feedback.
>
> This sounds interesting. I'll have a look at what you've written when
> I get a chance.
>
> How about an object based on this misconception mentioned from the project
> idea:
>
> "as the frequency in a digital audio signal approaches Nyquist the
> accuracy of that signal degrades"

This sounds interesting. In my mind this could be achieved by having an FFT
(or
something similar) analysing if the high frequency components reaching a
certain
threshold. If it does, then I can add noise to the samples. Please let me
know if you
have something else in mind.

> I think having a handful of objects like this would be good idea--
> perhaps if you can think of one or two more to add to
> what you currently have. (You might check some digital audio and
> recording forums to see if you can find a few more
> misconceptions to build on.)

I will try to come up with a couple of more ideas before submitting the
proposal
in the next few days.

> Also, you should think about how you can take this idea and really
> refine each object over the course of the
> summer so that the objects are generally useful. I think your "warm"
> vinyl idea is a good start-- by the end of the
> summer it should end up as something more than a rudimentary filter.
>
> Does that sound like something which you would be able to successfully
> complete?

Yes it does sound like something that is achievable to me. I spent some
time to
implement the vinyl~ filter. However once I got a hold on how to build the
externals,
I believe it would not be too hard to implements other filters. I guess at
this stage, my
concern would be that it might take me another month from now to get a hold
on
debugging the externals, but even then, it does not sound too hard to me.

>> Then you feed the output of some patch through that filter and let
> >> someone listen who believes the
> >> misconception. If the implementation was a success, they should reply
> >> that the output indeed
> >> sounds "digital" and "less warm than vinyl." Then you can remove the
> >> filter to show them that it
> >> was a trick/fake news.
> >

> > To get feedback from "someone", I guess you are referring to the purr
> data community?
>
> No. Someone who believes the misconception would be a person who
> believes, say, that
> analog synths always sound "warmer" and "more present" than digital synths.

I am just wondering how would I get those people to listen to my
implementation
of the fake news filters?

> Let me know if you have any more questions. Stay safe and sane during
> this pandemic!

I do not have more questions regarding the fake news library at this stage.
However I am also interested in the "Data Over Audio Messaging" project
(sorry if it is a little bit too late to express my interest.)
Regarding this project, I guess I have two concerns/challenges:
1.  How should I cancel the feedback such that the sender does not receive
its own message?
2.  How should I encode the message? Shall I follow some sort of existing
protocol (such as TCP or Ethernet Frame or something else) and translate it
to an audio equivalent?

Although I have been working on the fake news library project, I believe
the skills
are transferable between these two projects, and that my implementation of
the
vinyl~ filter has shown my basic understanding of the pure data API.

I hope you are all staying safe and healthy.

Kind regards,
Tsz Kiu