[L2Ork-dev] Bidirectional netsend-like object

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Wed Mar 18 12:08:10 EDT 2020

On 3/18/2020 11:29 AM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 10:20 AM Ivica Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:
>> Host would be publicly accessible but clients may not. Most ISPs prevent access to its clients without specific port forwarding enabled on the ISP's side. Then, there are also client's firewalls (router and computer) which requires additional user config which is something I would like to avoid.
> Does the host know ahead of time where the clients are? If so you can
> have the host listen on port 80 and set up a firewall to only let
> those clients initiate connections to the host.

Host won't know and host firewall is not an issue, so any port will be
fine with clients initiating connection.

> TCP connections are already bi-directional so I'm not sure I
> understand that part of the requirement.

I am not sure if we have an external that can send and receive data and
whose connection is initiated by a client to a host. In other words:

1) client connects to a host (TCP or UDP, or something else that is
ideally already a part of an existing external)

2) client can send data to host AND host can send data back to client

ico at vt.edu

www.icat.vt.edu
www.performingarts.vt.edu
l2ork.icat.vt.edu