[L2Ork-dev] Expression of interest in GSoC 2020

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 21:15:15 EDT 2020

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 6:23 PM Tsz Kiu Pang <osamupang at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Thank you very much for your reply.
>
> On Sat, 7 Mar 2020 at 06:48, Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Tsz Kiu,
>>
>> It's great to see someone familiar with Pd getting interested in GSoC
>> for Purr Data!
>>
>> For the error: it looks like you're somehow still missing the lua
>> headers. Did they install lua successfully with homebrew?
>>

>> Check /usr/local/include and /usr/include to see if the header is there.
>

> Yes, lua.h is just in /usr/local/include/lua/, but somehow gcc could not locate it.
> I hope I will have time to debug and get this working by today.
>

>> As far as GSoC conflict with your school-- I don't think you could
>> successfully complete a project given those scheduling constraints.
>>
>> Beginning and end of the summer are crucial times. And 30 hours per
>> week is an average AFAICT.
>> You'll likely hit "crunch time" at some point in both the very
>> beginning and end of the project.
>> Not having adequate time to focus and ensure the code works during
>> those times would be
>> catastrophic.
>

> Thank you very much for your feedback. To me it seems like this project
> is not as hard as other projects or projects from other organizations.

Some of the implementation may not be as complicated, but conceptually
that project is more difficult than the others. (See below.)

Also know that if you have a project idea not listed there you may suggest it.
You are not limited to the project ideas listed on the summer of code repo.

>> Perhaps the other GSoC admins can chime in here?
>

> It would be great if I could get some feedback from other people, especially
> if anyone in Australia who has successfully completed GSoC with Purr Data before.

As far as I know we haven't had a student from Australia before.

Please search to see if you can find information on any Australian GSoC students
from previous years.

>> As far as the projects: I think you're on the right track for the
>> "warm vinyl" idea. For the ambition of GSoC
>> that would probably be one of a small collection of "fake news"
>> objects. I'm happy to give some more feedback
>> on that and the other project ideas if you'd like.
>

> Yes, it would be great if you could please provide me with more feedback.
> Another question that I have is to what scale of this fake news library you are expecting?
> (e.g. how many objects?)

I'd say enough objects to make the library practically useful for
artists and teachers. That
could potentially be a single class, but I was thinking at least a
handful of classes when I wrote
that idea.

Here' the process I was imagining:

1. Identify a common misconception in DSP or electronic music.
2. Consider what the output in Pd would look/sound like if that
misconception were true.
3. Implement an external that produces that output.

So if you have found a common misconception that vinyl is "warmer"
than digital output,
you'd want to consider what "colder" output would sound like coming
from, say, some kind of
filter you build for Purr Data.

Then you feed the output of some patch through that filter and let
someone listen who believes the
misconception. If the implementation was a success, they should reply
that the output indeed
sounds "digital" and "less warm than vinyl." Then you can remove the
filter to show them that it
was a trick/fake news.

Of course, you must ensure the misconception is indeed a
misconception. The more evidence you
have for a specific misconception, the more useful the objects will
be. Vinyl was just a broad starting point
for this project idea; there are many others to explore. The more
widespread the misconception, the better.

-Jonathan