[L2Ork-dev] Purr-data console slowdown

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Thu Jun 11 15:58:40 EDT 2020

On 6/11/2020 3:42 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 9:56 AM Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:
>> Jonathan,
>>
>> Do we want to limit the number of lines kept in the console history to
>> minimize potential slowdowns that are particularly apparent on Windows
>> when the console history grows large or is this something that is going
>> to be resolved upstream in nw?
> Hm, how bad is the problem under Windows?
>
> Also-- if you were able to get things running with the most recent
> nw.js version,
> does that change anything?
>
> -Jonathan

Once you get several hundred lines, pretty bad. Every time there is a
single line printout, the entire gui has a momentary hiccup that is
perfectly timed with a new printout.

Nw.js is a mess. I wonder just how much we may have gained by moving
from the dreaded tcl/tk onto it. Tried 0.20, 0.46.2 and 0.47, and all
three behave differently when given command to not resize a window...

Pd window spawns in the top left corner, scrollbars have different
spacing, pop-ups show on the left side of the parent window, the whole
thing starts-up significantly slower... I'll stop there--you get the point.

ico at vt.edu

www.icat.vt.edu
www.performingarts.vt.edu
l2ork.icat.vt.edu