[L2Ork-dev] Getting ready for GSoC coding to begin

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Tue Jun 2 17:58:30 EDT 2020

So, I just tested the 2.11 and my findings regarding the changes in the
select object are that this is worse than the previous implementation
because now the select outputs cryptic error that no beginner will
understand. Even for advanced users it provides misleading info as the
select object treats bang message as a list (which it is not). Try the
attached patch.

I recommend that we reinstate the original select behavior and on top of
that ensure that both the bang and symbol bang are treated as one and
the same. I understand this kind of patch is not going to be common or
useful, yet one cannot predict architectural choices a beginner may make
(for better or for worse) and I am of the opinion that we should do all
we can (without breaking the core purr-data behavior) to make things as
easy as possible.

On 5/29/2020 3:50 PM, Albert Graef wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 3:07 AM Jonathan Wilkes
> <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com <mailto:jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I bumped the minor version so it will be 2.11.0
>

> Great, thanks!
>
> --
> Dr. Albert Gr"af
> Computer Music Research Group, JGU Mainz, Germany
> Email: aggraef at gmail.com <mailto:aggraef at gmail.com>, web:
> https://agraef.github.io/

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Director, Creativity + Innovation
Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology

Virginia Tech
Creative Technologies in Music
School of Performing Arts – 0141
Blacksburg, VA 24061