[L2Ork-dev] git rebase

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 05:51:04 EDT 2020

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 12:27 AM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If I'm incrementally committing on a feature branch *and* I have a
> need to merge in master to pull in recent changes,
> does that mean I have to rebase -i and clean things up *before* I
> merge in master?

You don't *have* to, but I'd say that it's strongly advisable, yes. (Even
after a merge, obviously you can still use `git rebase -i`, e.g., to reword
commit messages on your branch, or do some squashing of commits if you're
lucky. But you have a lot more freedom if you use `git rebase` instead of
merging from the master branch. And why would you want to use `git merge
master` rather than `git rebase master` if you also want to use `git rebase
-i` afterwards? You're rewriting history on your feature branch anyway, so
I'd then just rebase rather than merge master.)

Albert