[L2Ork-dev] git rebase

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 17:15:10 EDT 2020

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 10:33 PM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The problem I have is that rebase -i doesn't play well if you've been
> merging with master to keep up to date. It seems like
> the branch's commits related to the feature then get interleaved with
> whatever got committed in master.

Yes, that's exactly what `git merge` does, which is why I suggest using
`git rebase` on feature branches instead. Then you don't have that problem,
and `git rebase -i` will work nicely if you don't go crazy with it  --
e.g., like trying to reorder a history which has one commit depending on
another, that just won't work; but squashing and rewording commits, even
splitting commits when it becomes necessary, will all work fine.

Email: aggraef at gmail.com, web: https://agraef.github.io/