[L2Ork-dev] Patch private abstractions

Guillem Bartrina guillembartrina at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 18:38:10 EDT 2020

Hi,

in the last meeting we discussed a bit about the fact the way ab private
abstractions are saved (so the definition is updated) is a little
counter-intuitive for users (e.j. creating a new instance of an
abstraction that hasn't yet been saved gives us an empty canvas).

On the one hand, I don't see a major issues here. The user just has to
get used to saving the abstractions when he finishes editing them.

On the other hand, there is the UX side. We can think of a situation
where the user has edited the definition somewhere and forgot to save it
(so it is still dirty) Then he creates new instances and they don't look
as they should, so the user has to find the dirty canvas (perhaps among
many others) and save it.

An easy solution we came up with was to open the save dialog (Yes, No;
the Cancel option doesn't make sense) within each dirty canvas every
time we create a new instance (or when we close the file). The problem
here is the case when we have multiple dirty canvases of the same
private abstraction.

Do we want the user to go one by one, choosing Yes or No and keeping the
definition of the last Yes-ed canvas? Or when the first Yes is clicked,
all the remaining dirty canvases are discarded?

Another approach could be to simply warn the user about the existence of
dirty canvases of that private abstraction.

Another could be a custom dialog (maybe using dialog_external) where all
dirty canvases are listed and the user has to choose either one or none
of them.

Tomorrow I will also write about the absontrol/absanity topic and some
other things.