[L2Ork-dev] How to debug Windows and OSX

Ivica Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Tue Apr 7 21:43:18 EDT 2020

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020, 18:05 Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 4:57 PM Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

> can
> > > The thing is you've got two cases of "argv++" in the middle of that
> > > enormous function body.
> > >
> > > It's difficult to tell at a glance whether that would jump off the end
> > > of the array in some cases.
> >
> > This is necessary due to logic of how it parses the linear file
> > containing both node and preset info (with potentially multiple presets
> > per node).
>
> It's not necessary. The function is too large and does too many different
> tasks
> that make it difficult to read and reason about.
>
> Don't let your code spiral so out of control that it swerves into the
> right side of the screen
> and causes accidents. :)

I love how you succinctly described most of the core Pd codebase :-)

Joking aside, in this case I prefer the monolithic nature of the function
because it contains all possible bugs inside a single flow and I would
argue it is as a result easier to debug. That said, if anyone wishes to
refactor this, I am fine with that as long as it maintains the same or
better level of bugginess :-)