[L2Ork-dev] non-standard characters in path

Iain Mott mott at escuta.org
Tue Nov 19 12:20:48 EST 2019

Dear developers,

I've been presenting Pd/Purrdata to an introductory sound design class
and students have been installing the software on their mainly Windows
machines. A common problem that I'm encountering is that many of the
students have user names with non-standard characters such as "João" and
"Márcia". While it's possible to change the user name at the login
level, the path remains unchanged after re-boot/login and Pd/Purrdata
fails to load objects and abstractions (abstraction at least and they
appear in red in the patches). There is apparently a way to resolve the
path problem at the system level by making changes to registry values
(I'm not a regular Windows user), however I do not wish to make such
changes on the machines of the students because there is a risk that I
may damage the system if I make a mistake.

As a workaround I've been creating a new user name on each machine but
as such, the users can't access there other docs.

Since other programs don't seem to have this problem, my question is:
can non-standard characters such as á, à and ã be made permissible in
paths for Purr Data?

Thanks very much,

Iain