[L2Ork-dev] GSoC 2019: Interested in contributing to the "Core Accessibility" project

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 12:20:41 EDT 2019

Hello S. Shashank,

Welcome!

1. I believe there is some prior art here:
http://artengine.ca/desiredata/download/
This is an abandoned project that attempted to make lots of
improvements to the language and UI.

One of the UI improvements in DesireData was a way to navigate and
create connections among objects
with the keyboard.

I believe that project will still successfully compile on a Gnu/Linux
distro. Let me know if you have
trouble compiling or finding the keyboard shortcuts for navigation.

Also, there are some screenshots and screencasts of DesireData here:

http://artengine.ca/desiredata/gallery/

One thing about the language is that the functionality in each box
tends to be fairly limited, so the user
really depends on making lots of connections in order to implement
their ideas. So making multiple connections,
disconnections, and inserting objects with the keyboard needs to be
ergonomic. Personally, I like the idea of
navigating around the boxes using something like Vim realtime pattern
matching. But there are probably
other ways to do it, too.

2. I have to admit I'm not sure what I was referring to there! I'll
investigate and try to figure it out...

In the meantime, thanks for your interest in our GSoC project and feel
free to post any more inquiries here.

-Jonathan