[L2Ork-dev] GSoC '19

Tsz Kiu Pang osamupang at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 08:17:25 EDT 2019

Hello Jonathan,
Sorry for the late reply, has been swamped by school work during the past
few days.

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 at 11:52, Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am writing to express my interest in working on Purr-Data in the
> Google Summer of Code.
> >
> > I was just looking at the project suggestions on Jonathan's GitLab page,
> and am interested in a couple of them.
>
> Btw-- if you have a potential GSoC idea that isn't listed there, feel
> free to add it or ask about it here on the list.

At the moment, I cannot really think of anything else better than your
suggestions, but I will let you know if I come up with any new ideas.

> > The first one is making a REPL interface. As someone who insist on doing
> most of the work on the command line, this project sounds really
> interesting to me. I would be very keen to explore how to communicate with
> embedded device locally or via ssh. Although I have never use Pure Data in
> any embedded device (apart from a small attempt of using pduino), I am
> eager to learn more and eventually develop a user-friendly REPL interface
> for Raspberry PI and other devices.
> >
> > The second one is encapsulation ergonomics. As a Pd user for slightly
> more than two years, I do find abstraction a troublesome process in Pd.
> This project sounds like a great opportunity to rewrite some of the code
> that would make abstraction a more natural process in patching. Although
> the GitLab page does not specify the language(s) required for this project,
> I am assuming C would be a prerequisite?
>
> Yes, C. And possibly a trivial bit of Javascript to add some menu options.
>
> That sounds great, C is my strong suit, and hopefully Javascript would not
be too hard to learn

> > These two sounds almost equally interesting to me.
> > It would be great if you would kindly suggest which one is more
> beneficial to the Pd community.
>
> The encapsulation idea would probably immediately benefit current Pd users.

On the other hand, the REPL idea could potentially open up new ways to
> create and interact
> with Pd patches.

That is what I was thinking as well.
If that is the case, I would probably just stick to the encapsulation idea.

> > Also, I am just wondering if there are any suggestions in applying for
> GSoC and writing a project proposal?
>
> You might begin by compiling Purr Data from source using the build guide
> here:
>
> https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data#build-guide
>
> Yes, I have just done that using git and homebrew.
Although I came across some trouble while homebrewing python (since I
already had python), it went just fine after I reinstall it.

Since you are already a Pd user, you might then roughly outline the
> features you would like from a
> successful implementation of either of the ideas you mentioned above.
> What would it feel like to
> use the new encapsulation features, or to interact with Pd through the
> REPL? What new possibilities
> would these features provide that is not currently possible in Pd?
>
> Then see if you can figure out which sections of the source code would
> be touched by either idea. If
> you can, try to rate each part as to which will require the most work.

Thank you for your concrete suggestions.
I will try to work on these in these couple of days.

> One thing I'll say about last year's GSoC-- we used an incremental
> approach to the project. This meant
> that Pranay submitted fairly self-contained code patches at each stage
> of the project which could
> be merged into master without any conflicts. This turned out to work
> really well. For the two project
> ideas you've mentioned, I believe it should be possible to take a
> similar approach. So see if you can
> divide the project up into fairly self-contained sections.

I will see what I can do after I have located where the source code
responsible for encapsulation are.

> Finally, feel free to post to the list or email me if you come up with
> more questions as you flesh out
> the idea. (Also, it is possible to submit more than one proposal if
> you have the time to flesh out
> both idea. Though I imagine as you start to investigate them you may
> begin to favor one over the
> other, which is fine.)

I just have a couple of concerns.
Sorry I might have overestimated myself in the past week, but I realised I
might not be able to commit for 30+ hours per week during May since I am in
Australia, the exams are usually in May-early June.
Having said that, the encapsulation project does not seems to be too hard
to do, though I might have underestimated it since if it was easy, it
should have already been a feature in Pd.
I just want to check in what is the expectation from you guys in terms of
commitment?
I might reevaluate myself in these couple of days.
Just in case, if I realise in these few days that I do not have the
capacity for GSoC, would I still be able to contribute to this in anyway?
I would definitely be keen to contribute to the Pd community within or
outside GSoC.

Kind regards,
Tsz-Kiu